- SKU: 03177
- For each offer ordered, get 2 18-24" plants
- FormDeciduous Shrub
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height10 - 15 feet.
- Spread10 - 15 feet.
- Spacing10 feet.
- FoliagePinnate leaves with toothed leaflets.
- Flower FormSmall white flowers borne in large flattened clusters.
- BloomsEarly Summer
- FruitPurple-black round fruit appear in late summer and fall. Individual berries are less than 1/4" across grouped in large clusters.
- Soil RequirementsAverage, medium to wet, rich soil.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate.
- PruningPrune out dead or weakened stems in early spring. Can be hard pruned if needed to restrict size.
- PollinatorElderberries fruit best with at least 2 different varieties planted within 60 ft. of each other.
- CommentsEasy-to-grow native attracts birds, butterflies and wildlife. Attractive shrub grows 10-25 feet tall with a similar spread. In early summer, small white flowers bloom in large, flattened clusters. Produces clusters of small, purple-black round berries in late summer and fall. Berries are high in antioxidants and are used in baking, preserves and wine. Plant in full sun to partial shade in beds and borders, or create a privacy screen.
- Botanical NameSambucus canadensis
- DepthPlant in the spring. Place the plant in the hole at the same level it was grown by the nursery. This is where the roots start and the tops shoots begin. Spread the roots out evenly. Gently work the soil around the roots do not pack the soil. Water plant thoroughly.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Large Bareroots, Trees & Shrubs|
|1A-4A||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|4B||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 6/21/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 6/21/19|
|6A||3/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|6B||3/4/19 - 6/21/19|
|7A||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|7B||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|8A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|9A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|10A & B||2/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|Last Order Date|| 1A-7B: 6/17/19
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Sorry, we cannot ship products to Hawaii, Alaska, APO/FPO or outside the contiguous United States. Please provide a street address as some products are unable to be delivered to Post Office boxes.