- SKU: 04487
- For each offer ordered, get 1 bareroot
- Zones: 4 - 9
- Height: 80 feet.
- Light Required: Full Sun.
Send me an email when this item is available
- Unit of Measure1 bareroot
- FormOpen, spreading crown with several massive branches.
- LightFull Sun.
- Height80 feet.
- Spread60 feet.
- Spacing60 - 80 feet.
- Zones4 - 9
- FoliagePalmate leaves ,with 3 to 5 lobes. Edges are wavy with teeth. Bright green on top of leaf, pale green on underside. Fall foliage is brown.
- Fruit1 inch brown balls that hand on stalks. Most will fall off the tree and litter the ground, while some will remain on the tree throughout the winter.
- Soil RequirementsDeep, moist, rich, well-drained soil.
- PruningPruning during the dormant season -- particularly the late dormant season, such as in January -- has many benefits besides giving new shoots a fair shot at life. Specifically, this timing limits the loss of resources when you remove parts of the sycamores, as trees store most of their nutrients in their wood and roots during the dormant season. It also reduces the risk of spring and summer insects entering pruning wounds, which then seal with fresh bark as warm spring weather hits. And during th
- CommentsWhile not one of the tallest trees, it is considered one of the most massive - as it has a very open, spreading crown with several huge branches. Known for its whitish exfoliating bark - makes a great ornamental shade tree.
- Botanical NamePlatanus occidentalis
- HeaderMassive Shade Tree with Showy Bark
- DepthPlant at same depth as in nursery.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.