- SKU: 76349
- For each offer ordered, get 3 asparagus starts
- Zones: 3 - 8 (2 with Winter protection).
- Height: 3 to 4 feet.
- Light Required: Full Sun
- Unit of Measure3 asparagus starts
- LightFull Sun
- Height3 to 4 feet.
- Spread18 inches.
- Spacing12 - 18 inches apart.
- Zones3 - 8 (2 with Winter protection).
- FoliageGraceful, feathery green foliage.
- FruitPurple tipped, green speared asparagus. 10 - 12 inch spears.
- Soil RequirementsSuited for almost all soil types found in home gardens.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate.
- PruningCut the ferns down to ground level in the Fall once they have turned brown, or in the early Spring before new growth appears.
- CommentsTruly living up to its name, AsparaBest® outperforms any other variety currently available, especially when it comes to flavor! Predominately male plants produce little to no seed to ensure larger yields as all the plants' energy goes into spear production and root development. These crowns even out-produced popular Jersey varieties 2 to 3 times over! Regardless of your location, this sweet, crisp variety is unmatched in northern climates for cold tolerance and will live and produce longer than any other variety.
- YieldHigh yields.
- Botanical NameAsparagus officinalis 'UG-9'
- DepthWhen planting bareroot crowns in the spring, prepare a trench 8 inches deep. Spread crowns over the soil and cover them with 2 inches of soil. Gradually fill the trench with soil as the plants grow (if your soil is clay or heavy, you should add compost.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Vegetable Plants & Starts|
|1A-4B||9/4 - 11/2|
|5A & 5B||9/4 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/4 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/4 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/4 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/4 - 11/2|
|Last Order Date||All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.