$50 or more TODAY! -Tap to Save-
- SKU: 39787
- For each offer ordered, get one 18-24" bareroot
Send me an email when this item is available
- FormDeciduous. Shrub form.
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height3 - 6 feet.
- Spread5 - 6 feet.
- Spacing5 - 8 feet with 12 feet spacing between rows.
- ZonesZones 3 - 8.
- FoliageObovate, glossy medium green leaves with excellent red-orange and a hint of purple Fall color.
- Flower FormCorymbs of white tinged with pink.
- ColorWhite tinged with pink blossoms.
- BloomsLate Spring to early Summer.
- FruitFresh Aronia berries (about the size of blueberries) picked off the bush aren't very pleasant to the palate. Aronia have a high tannin level, they will really pucker you up, but after freezing or cooking they are much easier on taste buds, and some say af
- Soil RequirementsAdaptable to a wide range of soils but moist, fertile well-drained soil is best.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate. Remember that perennials (that are going to be work-horses for many years in your garden), often follow 3 unwritten rules: the first year they SLEEP; the second year they CREEP; the third year - they LEAP!
- PruningPrune in late Winter when dormant or after flowering, if fruit production is not an important factor for growing this plant.
- PollinatorSelf pollinating.
- CommentsHardy native plant to Eastern North America and Canada. This variety is a cultivated form of the native aronia. It has recently attracted scientific interest due to the deep purple-black berries and their properties. There are several health benefits of the aronia berries like other dark pigmented berries such as blueberries, black currant, salal and bilberries. Antioxidants, cardiovascular system support, anti-aging properties, digestive aids and help in maintaining blood sugar levels to name a few! The berries are not particularly tasty fresh to humans but the juices can be made into a number of wonderful items such as juices, wines, syrups, sauces, marinades, chutney and pies. If you don't care to harvest the fruit, the songbirds and other wildlife will gladly take care of that for you!
- YieldApproximately 10 - 15 lbs. per bush by the third year. Full production of about 20 - 25 lbs. of berries per bush after 6 years.
- Botanical NameAronia melanocarpa
- DepthWhen potted, plant at the same depth it is in the pot. If the plant is bareroot, plant with the crown of the plant (where the stems meet the roots) no more than one inch below the soil surface.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Large Bareroots, Trees & Shrubs|
|1A-4A||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|4B||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 6/21/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 6/21/19|
|6A||3/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|6B||3/4/19 - 6/21/19|
|7A||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|7B||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|8A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|9A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|10A & B||2/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|Last Order Date|| 1A-7B: 6/17/19
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Sorry, we cannot ship products to Hawaii, Alaska, APO/FPO or outside the contiguous United States. Please provide a street address as some products are unable to be delivered to Post Office boxes.