Asparagus Purple Passion
- SKU: 66972
- For each offer ordered, get 3 asparagus starts
Send me an email when this item is available
Asparagus Purple Passion
- LightFull Sun.
- Height4 - 5 feet.
- Spread18 inches.
- SpacingFor best performance, plant spacing for Purple Passion is 6 - 8 inches apart in the row instead of the usual 12 inch spacing.
- Zones3 - 8 (2 with protection).
- FoliageFern-like foliage.
- FruitLarge-diameter spears have 20% more sugars and emerge later than green varieties, protecting them from frost damage.
- Soil RequirementsSandy, fertile loam with good drainage.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- Seed Count10 crowns per offer. 3 plugs per offer.
- PruningCut emerging asparagus before the spear exceeds 5 inches. After harvest, asparagus must be completely dormant before mowing. Mow late Winter or early Spring.
- CommentsRich color and record yields. Larger, sweeter, tastier spears than green types. Stalks turn green when cooked.
- YieldRecord yields. Grown for the stems or spears, a well tended planting yields 8 to 10 pounds or more per 100 square feet of bed or 24 to 30 pounds per 100 feet of row.
- Botanical NameAsparagus officinalis "Purple Passion" (male and female plants)
- DepthPrepare a trench 8 inches deep. Spread crowns over the soil and cover them with 2 inches of soil. Gradually fill the trench with soil as the plants grow (If your soil is clay or heavy, you may want to add compost). Plant plugs are planted the same depth they are in the pot.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Sorry, we cannot ship products to Hawaii, Alaska, APO/FPO or outside the contiguous United States. Please provide a street address as some products are unable to be delivered to Post Office boxes.