Bartzella Itoh Peony
- SKU: 67156
- For each offer ordered, get 1 2-3 Eye Bareroot Plant
- Zones: 3 - 8
- Height: 2 - 3 feet
- Light Required: Full sun to partial shade.
Bartzella Itoh Peony
- Unit of Measure1 2-3 Eye Bareroot Plant
- FormLarge, domed shape
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height2 - 3 feet
- Spread2 - 4 feet
- Spacing3 - 4 feet
- Zones3 - 8
- FoliageNew leaves; dark green with purplish shading. Summer: divided gray-green to green leaves. Fall: usually bright orange & red hues. Winter: leafless, dormant, stout stems.
- Flower FormSemi-double blossoms. Fragrant
- ColorOuter layers creamy, becoming deep sulphur yellow with red flames at the center.
- BloomsLate spring-early summer, opening over a 6 week period.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, rich, slightly acidic soil.
- Growth RateSlow to moderate growth rate.
- PruningDead-head. Remove spent flowers after blooming. Cut foliage to the ground (and remove from the garden) in fall after frost.
- CommentsVery rare plant, an Itoh or intersectional peony is a hybrid of an herbaceous and tree peony. Resembles a tree peony in flower and form (stronger and more floriferous)- shrubby form, flower color, resistance to blight, tolerance to heat, humidity, cold and poor soil, but the culture is the same as an herbaceous peony, as well as large bloom size, superb fragrance and extended bloom season. Itoh's have the best of both worlds and Bartzella is the best of the Itohs. Winner of the Grand Champion Award from the American Peony Society. Blooms for an extra long season and has a citrusy (lemony) sweet fragrance, flowers don't fall over in the rain like herbaceous peonies. Un-surpassed by any other peony in beauty, fragrance or sheer flowering power- can produce up to 80 flowers on a single plant. Superior as a cut flower, last for several weeks in a vase, and scent the whole house.
- Botanical NamePaeonia lactiflora x P. suffriticosa 'Bartzella'; Family: Paeoniaceae (Peony Family)
- SizeFlowers are semi-double, 9 inches across.
- DepthPlant with eyes approximately 2 inches below the soil surface. If it is planted too deeply, poor flowering will result.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Perennials, Bulbs & Flowers|
|1A-4B||9/4 - 11/2|
|5A & 5B||9/4 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/4 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/4 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/4 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/4 - 11/2|
|Last Order Date||All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.