Black Magic™ Blackberry
- SKU: 76168
- For each offer ordered, get 1 plant
- Zones: 5 - 9
- Height: 4 feet
- Light Required: Full sun
- Plants are not available in FL MA SC
Black Magic™ Blackberry
- Unit of Measure1 plant
- FormUpright, erect, self-supporting canes.
- LightFull sun
- Height4 feet
- Spread4 feet
- Spacing3 - 4 feet.
- Zones5 - 9
- FoliageDark green foliage.
- Flower FormWhite single blooms, first flush in May, with blooms intermittently throughout the Summer, and then again in August/September.
- BloomsFirst flush in May, with blooms intermittently throughout the Summer, and then again in August/September.
- FruitGlossy deep wine to black, large fruit, most well over quarter size in diameter.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, rich, slightly acidic moist soil. 5.5- 6.8 pH
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- PruningHow you should prune erect and trailing blackberries varies slightly. All cultivars require very little pruning or training during the planting year. Differences in pruning and training between erect and trailing blackberries: Top the primo canes of erect cultivars during the Summer. Don't top trailing cultivars during the growing season. Shorten the laterals of erect cultivars.
- PollinatorSelf pollinating.
- CommentsDouble cropper, excellent heat tolerance, blooming & setting fruit in Arkansas in August at 101 degree F temperatures, still good setting- compared to all of the other varieties that have shut-down at this point in the heat (if they set flowers, the blooms burn up), doesn't have the post harvest quality that commercial industry needs (only because some of the berries may turn red in storage), shorter self-supporting plants, good quarter plus sized, chunky fruit, firm, nice flavor- rich, complex, sweet-tart, perfect balance of sugars & acids. Slightly thorny plants.
- YieldApproximately 4 - 6 quarts at maturity.
- Botanical NameRubus fruticosus 'Black Magic' PPAF
- HeaderDelicious Berries Times Two!
- DepthPlant at same depth as in the nursery. Plant so the roots are below soil level.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule for Plants|
|Zones||Tomatoes & Peppers||Potatoes||Sweet Potatoes||Onion Plants|
|1A-4A||5/14 - 6/1||3/26 - 6/15||5/21 - 6/8||4/2 - 5/11|
|4B||5/14 - 6/1||3/26 - 6/15||5/21 - 6/8||4/2 - 5/11|
|5A||5/14 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||5/14 - 6/8||3/26 - 5/11|
|5B||5/14 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/26 - 5/11|
|6A||4/23 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 5/11|
|6B||4/23 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/26 - 5/11|
|7A||4/23 - 6/1||2/26 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/19 - 5/11|
|7B||4/2 - 6/1||2/26 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/11|
|8A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/19 - 6/15||4/23 - 6/8||1/29 - 5/11|
|9A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/15||4/23 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11|
|10A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/15||4/16 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11|
|Last Order Date||5/28||6/11||6/4||5/7|
|Zones||Bareroot Roses||Large Bareroots, Trees & Shrubs||Tender Annuals||All other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||4/16 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/30 - 6/22|
|4B||4/16 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/30 - 6/22|
|5A||4/1 - 6/1||3/19 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/2 - 6/22|
|5B||3/19 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||3/30 - 6/8||3/19 - 6/22|
|6A||3/5 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 6/22|
|6B||3/5 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 6/22|
|7A||2/26 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/22||4/2 - 6/8||2/26 - 6/22|
|7B||2/26 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/22||4/2 - 6/8||2/26 - 6/22|
|8A & B||2/19 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/20 - 5/25|
|9A & B||1/22 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/25|
|10A & B||1/22 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/25|
|Last Order Date||5/28||1A-7B: 6/18||6/4||1A-7B: 6/18|
|8A-10B: 5/21||8A-10B: 5/21|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.