Carolina Cross #183 Watermelon
Carolina Cross #183 Watermelon
- Seasonboth Spring & Fall
- Unit of Measureapprox. 10 seeds per packet.
- LightFull sun.
- Height15 - 24 inches
- Spread96-120 inches
- Spacing"Carolina Cross" watermelon plants need about 12 feet in all directions to grow. Flatten the top of each hill. Hills work much like raised beds because the soil drains and warms faster than planting on level ground.
- Zones3 - 9 annual
- FoliageGreen foliage.
- Soil Requirementswell-drained, sandy soil, so you might also blend coarse sand and organic matter, such as leaf mold and shredded bark mulch, to increase soil porosity and drainage.
- Seed CountApprox. 10 seeds per packet; approx. 60-70 seeds per 1/4 oz.
- PruningThin the watermelon plant seedlings to leave only one or two plants in each hill, after the seedlings develop two leaf sets. Select the two best looking plants and either pull up the plants carefully or cut them back to the ground, using bypass pruners. This allows the plants to produce bigger and better fruits without having to compete with other plants for space and nutrients in the soil.
- CommentsEnormous fruits are extra juicy. Dark and light green-striped rinds are bruise resistant and easy to handle. Huge melons grow to 200 lbs.!
- Botanical NameCitrullus lanatus
- HeaderHuge melons grow to 200 lbs.!
- Depth1 inch deep when the soil temperature is about 68 degrees F.
- Days To Maturity89 days. Direct seed.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.