Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry
- SKU: 77518
- For each offer ordered, get 1 potted plant
- Zones: 2-7
- Height: 6 - 7 feet
- Light Required: Full sun
- Plants are not available in CA CO ID OR WA
Send me an email when this item is available
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry
- Unit of Measure1 potted plant
- FormDeciduous. Rounded shrub.
- LightFull sun
- Height6 - 7 feet
- Spread5 feet
- Spacing5 - 7 feet
- FoliageGlossy green foliage, oval to obovate in shape, with pointed tips and serrated edges.
- Flower FormFlower is 1/2 inch, white or pinkish blossoms.
- BloomsMid to late May
- Fruit3.5 grams, 5/8 inch, deep crimson. Brix of 17. Possible reasons why the cherry flesh does not develop as it should on the whole tree: Cherries that do not get pollinated will sometimes stay on the trees and grow slightly but usually they fall off while o
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, sandy loam soil, free of perennial weeds, pH of 6.5 - 8.0, organic matter levels between 2 - 3%.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate.
- PruningPrune in early Spring before the bush breaks dormancy. Cherry buds are either vegetative or floral. Usually the end bud and thin side buds are vegetative and most of the larger buds are floral. When pruning, do not cut off tips of branches because you might be removing the vegetative buds and will have nothing to make new shoots.
- PollinatorIt does not require a pollinator to produce fruit, but having another cherry (Nanking, sandcherry) nearby will increase productivity.
- CommentsSmooth deep crimson fruit does not split, small round pit with high flesh to pit ratio. Sweet- tart flavor with a BRIX of 14%. Developed at the University of Saskatchewan, bred for better fruit quality and flavor, increased cold hardiness, dwarf size plant that makes maintenance easier. Disease and insect pest pressure is low, good choice for organic production. Large petals, glossy green leaves, and colorful fruit allow Carmine Jewel to double as an ornamental.
- YieldApproximately 10 - 30 pounds per plant at maturity.
- Botanical NamePrunus fruticosa x Prunus cerasus 'Carmine Jewel'
- HeaderThe Best for Drying
- DepthSame depth as in the nursery. Plant so the roots are below soil level.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.