Chipman's Canada Red Rhubarb
Chipman's Canada Red Rhubarb
- Unit of Measure1 root
- FormPerennial. upright.
- LightFull Sun until the middle of June.
- Height2 - 3 feet.
- Spread2 feet.
- SpacingSet divisions 3 feet apart in rows 4 feet apart.
- Zones3 - 8.
- FoliageGreen foliage with red stalks.
- FruitNaturally sweet, the red color won't fade in cooking. Produces long thick stalks that are rich red inside and out.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, rich, loamy soil that is fortified with compost or well-rotted manure. pH between 5.0 and 7.0.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- CommentsLarge stalks, yields 4 - 12 lbs. per crown at maturity. Color won't fade during cooking. Sweetest of all, needs less sugar when baking than others. Harvest well into Fall, seldom goes to seed. Rhubarb is a long lived perennial. Dependable producers of red stalks. Simmer, boil or bake. Perfect for preserves. Takes 2 years before ready to harvest. Apply Winter mulch in late Fall. Separate them into several small sections; each section should have at least 3 leaf buds and plenty of roots. Each Fall, top dress soil with a 3 inch layer of well-rotted manure or compost; apply along side and directly over the roots. Leaves of rhubarb are poisonous. Unable to ship to: AE, AK, GU, HI, PR.
- YieldExcellent yields. 4 to 12 pounds of stalks at maturity.
- Botanical NameRheum Rhubarbarum 'Chipman's Canada Red'
- HeaderNaturally Sweet, Dependably Cold Hardy
- DepthPlant divisions 3 - 4 inches below the soil surface. Plant early Spring for Fall, do not harvest stalks 1st season. Harvest freely the following seasons.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.