Contender Peach Tree
Contender Peach Tree
- Unit of Measure1 tree
- FormDeciduous. Spreading.
- LightFull Sun
- Height12 - 15 feet for Standard. 10 - 12 feet for Semi-dwarf.
- Spread15 feet for Standard. 12 feet for Semi-dwarf.
- Spacing15 feet for Standard. 12 feet for Semi-dwarf.
- Zones5 - 8
- FoliageGreen foliage.
- Flower FormYes
- BloomsLate April
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, organic, sandy loam soil.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- PruningSecond and third year pruning determines shape and prevents development of bad crotches. Pruning of fruit trees is best done during the dormant period. Summer pruning, except for the removal of water sprouts or "suckers", tends to weaken the trees. The first year the height of the lowest branches should be established by cutting off ones that grow lower down on the trunk than desired. The remaining side limbs may be shortened but retained, if well distributed. No more than two should be left tha
- PollinatorSelf pollinating.
- CommentsHardiness equals Reliance plus the variety blooms late. Marvelously melting sweet yellow flesh. Extremely juicy. This is the pick for fresh eating quality and crops year after year. High tolerance to late Spring frosts.
- YieldExcellent yield.
- Botanical NamePrunus 'persica'
- HeaderLate Frosts No Problem!
- DepthThe top of the Ellepot container should be even with the soil level.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.