Samdal & Samyl Elderberry
Samdal & Samyl Elderberry
- Unit of Measure1 bareroot
- FormUpright, rounded, spreading.
- LightMorning sun with afternoon shade is best.
- Height6 - 8 feet.
- Spread2 - 5 feet.
- Spacing3 - 6 feet between plants. 10 - 12 fet between rows.
- FoliageGreen leaves
- Flower FormUmbels of tiny white flowers.
- BloomsEarly summer
- FruitSmall purplish- black berries are borne in large clusters. Unripe berries are green or pale purple. Ripe berries are dark purple-blue. Harvest the entire berry cluster just below the closest leaves. Can be frozen until ready to use. Remove the berries f
- Soil RequirementsFertile, moist soil, prefers a pH between 5.5-6.5
- Growth RateModerate to fast growth rate.
- PruningWill fruit second year and those canes should be removed late that fall and every fall thereafter, cut out the fruiting canes. The growth habit makes it easy to prune and maintain a nice bush.
- PollinatorPartially self-fertile, though yields are increased with another cultivar of S. nigra planted within 60 feet.
- CommentsVigorous plants. Larger fruit clusters than Sambucus Canadensis. Produces new suckers annually. Berries have high anthocyanin content- very good for you! Elderberry is widely touted as a cold remedy.
- YieldHigh yield.
- Botanical NameSambucus nigra 'Samdal'
- HeaderSmaller Shrub with Juicy Fruit!
- DepthPlant at same depth as grown in the nursery, all roots should be well covered. Keep soil moist throughout the establishment period. Between flowering and through harvest make sure it is gets 1 inch of water per week.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.