- SKU: 11208
- For each offer ordered, get 50 bulbs
- Zones: 8 - 10 (bulbs must be lifted in the Fall in zones 3 - 7).
- Height: 3 - 4 feet.
- Light Required: Full sun to partial shade.
Send me an email when this item is available
- Unit of Measure 50 bulbs
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height3 - 4 feet.
- Spread6 inches.
- Spacing6 - 12 inches.
- Zones8 - 10 (bulbs must be lifted in the Fall in zones 3 - 7).
- FoliageSturdy green sword-shaped leaves.
- Flower FormFlower spikes with trumpet-shaped florets borne in double rows.
- ColorOur choice of colors.
- BloomsMid Summer.
- Soil RequirementsGlads can grow in a variety of soils, though sandy loam is preferred.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate.
- PruningDead-head. Allow foliage to die back.
- CommentsBrilliant blooms grace sword-shaped foliage mid-Summer, topping 3 - 4 foot stalks (may require staking). Ideal in borders or massed in groups. Our choice of colors. Dig bulbs for Winter. Plant glads in the Spring as soon as the ground is workable. Generally, early May begins the planting season. Extend the blooming season by multiple plantings through mid-June. Days to bloom can vary from 60 to 120 days, depending on variety and size of corm. With planning, the blooming period can extend for several months. To plant corms, dig a trench or hole. Corms may be spaced fairly close together (two to six inches), but for large, show-quality flowers, more space is needed. Two to four times the corm diameter is a good spacing rule. Determine the final depth and spacing for planting by corm size and soil type. Plant large corms about six to seven inches deep in light soils, and about four inches deep in heavy soils. Plant smaller corms shallower. Set corms in place, pointed side up, scar side down. Be sure the corms are upright. If corms are planted as deeply as possible, they will be held firmly in place and require little staking or support.
- Botanical NameGladiolus; Family: Iridaceae (Iris Family)
- HeaderDramatic Flower Spikes in Midsummer
- Depth6 inches.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule for Plants|
|Zones||Tomatoes & Peppers||Potatoes||Sweet Potatoes||Onion Plants|
|1A-4A||5/14 - 6/1||3/26 - 6/15||5/21 - 6/8||4/2 - 5/11|
|4B||5/14 - 6/1||3/26 - 6/15||5/21 - 6/8||4/2 - 5/11|
|5A||5/14 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||5/14 - 6/8||3/26 - 5/11|
|5B||5/14 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/26 - 5/11|
|6A||4/23 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 5/11|
|6B||4/23 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/26 - 5/11|
|7A||4/23 - 6/1||2/26 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/19 - 5/11|
|7B||4/2 - 6/1||2/26 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/11|
|8A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/19 - 6/15||4/23 - 6/8||1/29 - 5/11|
|9A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/15||4/23 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11|
|10A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/15||4/16 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11|
|Last Order Date||5/28||6/11||6/4||5/7|
|Zones||Bareroot Roses||Large Bareroots, Trees & Shrubs||Tender Annuals||All other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||4/16 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/30 - 6/22|
|4B||4/16 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/30 - 6/22|
|5A||4/1 - 6/1||3/19 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/2 - 6/22|
|5B||3/19 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||3/30 - 6/8||3/19 - 6/22|
|6A||3/5 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 6/22|
|6B||3/5 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 6/22|
|7A||2/26 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/22||4/2 - 6/8||2/26 - 6/22|
|7B||2/26 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/22||4/2 - 6/8||2/26 - 6/22|
|8A & B||2/19 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/20 - 5/25|
|9A & B||1/22 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/25|
|10A & B||1/22 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/25|
|Last Order Date||5/28||1A-7B: 6/18||6/4||1A-7B: 6/18|
|8A-10B: 5/21||8A-10B: 5/21|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.