- SKU: 74034
- For each offer ordered, get 1 bareroot.
- Zones: 7-9
- Height: 15 - 25 ft
- Light Required: Full sun
Send me an email when this item is available
- Unit of Measure1 bareroot.
- FormHerbaceous perennial
- LightFull sun
- Height15 - 25 ft
- Spread15 - 25 ft
- Spacing15 - 25 ft
- FoliageLarge, tropical-looking, glossy green,lobed leaves
- Flower FormInconspicuous flowers (hidden inside the bud)
- FruitLarge, brown skin, pink flesh. Sweet, rich flavor.
- Soil RequirementsRich, moist, well-drained soil
- PruningDo not require regular pruning once established. Prune figs trees annually during the first three growing seasons to establish desired shape. Best to prune immediately after the main crop is harvested in early fall. Do not prune mature Celeste trees heavily because this can reduce
- Commentsis almost as widely grown as Brown Turkey. Of the old standards, it is considered to be the best tasting and very good to excellent for both fresh eating and preserving (either frozen or processed as fig preserves). Celeste has a tightly closed "eye," making it resistant to dried fruit beetle and rain entry, which can cause fruit souring. Will drop un-ripe fruit in hot weather, but it is so outstanding in overall quality that it is worth some loss. Fortunately, Celeste ripens well before most other figs, allowing harvest before the worst heat. Can also be grown as a container plant and moved to a protected area to prevent winter dieback. Self-fruitful. Zones 7-9.
- Botanical NameFicus carica 'Celeste'
- HeaderThe most cold-hardy "standard."
- DepthPlace the plant in the hole at the same level it was grown by the nursery. This is where the roots start and the tops shoots begin. Spread the roots out evenly. Gently work the soil around the roots do not pack the soil. Water plant thoroughly.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.