- SKU: 74035
- For each offer ordered, get 1 bareroot.
- LightFull sun to part shade. Fruit will be sweeter when the tree gets more direct sun.
- Height15 - 30 feet. May be trimmed to as short as 6 feet.
- Spread15 - 25 ft
- Spacing15 - 25 ft
- FoliageLarge, tropical-looking, glossy green,lobed leaves
- Flower FormInconspicuous flowers (hidden inside the bud)
- FruitSmall to medium with small eye. Golf ball size. Blackish-purple skin with strawberry color flesh.
- Soil RequirementsCompost-rich, well-drained soil. Ideal pH balance for great tasting figs is between 6.0 and 6.5.
- PruningDo not require regular pruning once established. Prune figs trees annually during the first three growing seasons to establish desired shape. Best to prune immediately after the main crop is harvested in early fall.
- CommentsOne of the most cold hardy of all figs. A good choice for growing in mountain areas of zones 6-8. Best quality is achieved in late summer/early fall. Other varieties are better for prime fig growing areas of the South, but Hardy Chicago may be the ONLY option in less favorable winter climate fig growing areas. Size: 3-4' dormant plant
- YieldA mature Chicago Hardy Fig Tree can yield up to 100 pints of figs from a single tree!
- Botanical NameFicus carica 'Chicago Hardy'
- DepthPlace the plant in the hole at the same level it was grown by the nursery. This is where the roots start and the tops shoots begin. Spread the roots out evenly. Gently work the soil around the roots do not pack the soil. Water plant thoroughly.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||All Other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|4B||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 6/21/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 6/21/19|
|6A||3/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|6B||3/4/19 - 6/21/19|
|7A||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|7B||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|8A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|9A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19||10A & B||2/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|Last Order Date|| 1A-7B: 6/17/19
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.