Imperial Star Artichoke
- SKU: 64592
- For each offer ordered, get approx. 25 seeds per packet
- Zones: 3 - 9 annual.
- Height: 3 - 4 feet.
- Light Required: Full sun.
- Germination: 10 - 21 days. Soil temp for germination should be between 70 - 80 F. for best results.
Imperial Star Artichoke
- Seasonboth Spring & Fall
- Unit of Measure approx. 25 seeds per packet
- FormAnnual. Upright.
- LightFull sun.
- Height3 - 4 feet.
- Spread4 feet.
- SpacingSpace seed when planting 3 - 4 inches apart in rows 36 - 48 inches apart. Thin to 24 - 36 inches apart.
- Zones3 - 9 annual.
- FoliageGreen foliage.
- FruitPrimarily green globes can have some purple tinting.
- Germination10 - 21 days. Soil temp for germination should be between 70 - 80 F. for best results.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, humus enriched soil.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- Seed CountApproximately 25 seeds per packet.
- PollinatorSelf pollinating.
- CommentsProduces up to 3 times the yield of older varieties in one growing season.
- YieldNearly 3 times the yield of older varieties - Green Globe had 6 - 10 buds per plant. Yields of 3 1/2 - 4 inch chokes (preferred by the fresh market) vary from 400 - 500 cartons per acre. Cartons average 23 lbs. each with 24 or 36 chokes per carton.
- Botanical NameCynara scolymus 'Imperial Star' PVP (Plant Variety Protected).
- Size3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter, round green chokes with purple highlights.
- HeaderBig and Tasty the First Season!
- Depth1/4 - 1/2 inch deep.
- Days To Maturity85 days from transplant (105 - 160 direct sown).
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.