King of the Garden
King of the Garden
- Seasonboth Spring & Fall
- Unit of Measure2 oz. per pkt.
- FormUpright with no staking required.
- LightFull sun.
- Height8 - 10 feet.
- SpacingPlant 1 inch deep and 4 inches apart in rows 30 inches apart.
- Zones3 - 9 annual.
- FoliageGreen foliage.
- FruitVigorous. Harvested over a long period of time.
- Germination7 - 10 days.
- Soil RequirementsRich, sandy, well-drained soil.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- Seed Count2 oz. packet is approximately 50 seeds, 1/2 lb. is approximately 200 seeds.
- CommentsThis is a vine type lima and does not require staking to grow. Old garden favorite introduced in the 1970's. Pods have 4 - 6 inch big, cream colored seeds. Sets pods from the very bottom of the vine. Largest of all lima pods. This is a lima bean but for sales analysis purposes it is included in the pole bean category. Strong grower and clings well to poles. Productive and bears until frost when kept picked.
- Yield25 - 30 pounds shelled per 100 foot row.
- Botanical NamePhaseolus lunatus 'King of the Garden'; Family: Fabaceae/Leguminosae (Bean Family).
- Size4 - 6 inches.
- HeaderLargest of All Limas
- Depth1 - 1.5 inches.
- Days To Maturity88 days.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.