O'Neal Southern Highbush Blueberry
O'Neal Southern Highbush Blueberry
- Unit of Measure1 bareroot plant
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height6 feet.
- Spread4 - 6 feet.
- Spacing4 - 5 feet.
- Zones6 - 10 ( 0° F.).
- FoliageMedium green-gray foliage with a medium glossy appeal.
- ColorCreamy White.
- Soil RequirementsMoist, well-drained, acidic soil.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate.
- PruningBlueberries should be pruned during the Winter while the bushes are dormant. In Winter, flower buds are easily visible on one-year-old wood and their numbers can be adjusted by pruning to regulate the crop load for the coming year.
- PollinatorSelf pollinating. Use Sharpblue, Georgia Gem or Cape Fear for cross pollination to increase yields.
- CommentsVery sweet and firm, large O'Neal berries are held up by many as the best flavored of the Southern Highbush varieties. From mid-May through mid-June, the 4- to 6-ft. bushes are covered in delicious, medium blue berries. Attractive green-gray foliage turns to shades of orange to wine in fall. Wonderful for southern gardens, but is hardy as far North as zone 5. Zones 5-9. Good for Southern gardens. A low-chill highbush type. Requires 200 chilling hours. Introduced in 1987 by the USDA. Not available in GA, MI, OR, WA.
- Botanical NameVaccinium corymbosum 'O'Neal'; Family: Ericaceae
- Size1/4 - 1/2 inch blossoms.
- HeaderEarliest to bloom.
- DepthPlant at the same depth as in the nursery.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule for Plants|
|Zones||Tomatoes & Peppers||Potatoes||Sweet Potatoes||Onion Plants|
|1A-4A||5/14 - 6/1||3/26 - 6/15||5/21 - 6/8||4/2 - 5/11|
|4B||5/14 - 6/1||3/26 - 6/15||5/21 - 6/8||4/2 - 5/11|
|5A||5/14 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||5/14 - 6/8||3/26 - 5/11|
|5B||5/14 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/26 - 5/11|
|6A||4/23 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 5/11|
|6B||4/23 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/26 - 5/11|
|7A||4/23 - 6/1||2/26 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/19 - 5/11|
|7B||4/2 - 6/1||2/26 - 6/15||4/30 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/11|
|8A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/19 - 6/15||4/23 - 6/8||1/29 - 5/11|
|9A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/15||4/23 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11|
|10A & B||4/2 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/15||4/16 - 6/8||1/2 - 5/11|
|Last Order Date||5/28||6/11||6/4||5/7|
|Zones||Bareroot Roses||Large Bareroots, Trees & Shrubs||Tender Annuals||All other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||4/16 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/30 - 6/22|
|4B||4/16 - 6/1||4/2 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/30 - 6/22|
|5A||4/1 - 6/1||3/19 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||4/2 - 6/22|
|5B||3/19 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||3/30 - 6/8||3/19 - 6/22|
|6A||3/5 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 6/22|
|6B||3/5 - 6/1||3/5 - 6/22||4/30 - 6/8||3/5 - 6/22|
|7A||2/26 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/22||4/2 - 6/8||2/26 - 6/22|
|7B||2/26 - 6/1||2/12 - 6/22||4/2 - 6/8||2/26 - 6/22|
|8A & B||2/19 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/20 - 5/25|
|9A & B||1/22 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/25|
|10A & B||1/22 - 6/1||2/12 - 5/25||4/2 - 6/8||2/12 - 5/25|
|Last Order Date||5/28||1A-7B: 6/18||6/4||1A-7B: 6/18|
|8A-10B: 5/21||8A-10B: 5/21|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.