- Billowy plumes of pink and purple hues
- Purple foliage
- Grows 8-12 ft. tall
- Foliage turns shades of orange and red in fall
- Plant as specimen or informal hedge
- SKU: 61623
- For each offer ordered, get 1 2'-3' bareroot
- LightFull Sun
- Height8-12 feet
- Spread8-10 feet
- Spacing8-10 feet
- FoliageDeciduous, purple foliage. In fall, foliage will show shades of yellow, orange, and purplish-red.
- Soil RequirementsAverage, well-drained soil. Does not like to be wet. Good drainage is essential.
- PruningCan be pruned into tree form. In early spring, only prune what is absolutely necessary, to ensure as many blooms as possible.
- CommentsKnown for its whimsical billows of pink and purple smoke that float above its handsome purple foliage, this smoketree will be a standout in the landscape. Plant en masse for a bold statement, add a single plant to use as a focal point, or create an informal hedge. It's not the flowers, themselves, that put on the show, but the billowy hairs attached to the spent flower clusters that create the smoky effect that decorates the summer landscape. Its upright, multi-stemmed form can be pruned into a tree. Tolerates dry conditions, so it is a good choice for urban sites. Native to southern Europe and central China.
- Botanical NameCotinus coggygria atropurpurea
- DepthDig a hole large enough to spread the roots without bending them. Plant at the same depth as in the nursery. The previous soil line should be evident.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|1A-4A||4/15/19 - 5/31/19|
|4B||4/15/19 - 5/31/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 5/31/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 5/31/19|
|6A||3/4/19 - 5/31/19|
|6B||3/4/19 - 5/31/19|
|7A||2/25/19 - 5/31/19|
|7B||2/25/19 - 5/31/19|
|8A & B||2/18/19 - 5/31/19|
|9A & B||1/21/19 - 5/31/19|
|10A & B||1/21/19 - 5/31/19|
|Last Order Date||5/27/2019|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Sorry, we cannot ship products to Hawaii, Alaska, APO/FPO or outside the contiguous United States. Please provide a street address as some products are unable to be delivered to Post Office boxes.