- Unit of Measure1 tree
- FormNarrow, oblong foliage.
- LightFull sun.
- Height60 - 80 feet.
- Spread50 feet.
- Spacing50 feet.
- Zones4 - 8 (-20° F.).
- FoliageAlternate, pinnately compound; 4 - 8 inch long; deep yellow-green foliage.
- Flower FormMonoecious, male has catkins, female has terminal flower spikes.
- BloomsApril - May.
- FruitSweet and edible nuts.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained moist, organic, deep, fertile soil.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate.
- PollinatorPlant two or more trees for best pollination.
- CommentsLargest of all hickories. Tasty, thin-shelled nuts split on their own when fully ripe, with a flavor similar to pecans. Attractive tree that tolerates many soil types. Grows 60-80 feet tall with a straight, sturdy trunk, shaggy bark and glowing golden timber. Plant two for pollination.
- YieldApproximately 25 - 75 pounds at maturity.
- Botanical NameCarya laciniosa
- HeaderEasy-Shell Nuts, Largest of All Hickories!
- DepthSame as in the nursery.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.