- SKU: 10636
- For each offer ordered, get 1 bareroot plant
- FormDense, bushy broad rounded.
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height6 - 8 feet.
- Spread8 - 12 feet.
- Spacing6 - 12 feet.
- Zones4 - 9 (-20° F.).
- FoliageGlossy deep green, corrugated foliage.
- Flower FormDistinctive 1 - 2 inch auburn flowers, reddish-brown-some say burgundy.
- BloomsLate spring.
- FruitGreen turning to light brown, somewhat woody at maturity, bell-shaped "capsule", 1 - 1 1/2 inches long.
- Soil RequirementsRich well-drained soil.
- Growth RateModerate to fast growth rate.
- PruningPrune after flowering to keep plants neat and tidy by removing dead or damaged branches.
- CommentsNative Shrub with Sweet Fragrance. Delightful, rounded shrub combines delightful fragrance, pretty blooms and eye-catching yellow fall foliage. Carolina Allspice, also called Sweetshrub and Strawberry Bush, is native to the United States and easy to grow. This deciduous shrub produces reddish-brown fragrant blooms that have hints of pineapple, strawberry and banana. The flowers give way to urn-shaped fruits which mature in the fall. Its dark green, lustrous leaves are aromatic when crushed and, in autumn, turn yellow. Because of its lovely fragrance, many gardeners plant this shrub near patios and entrances where its fragrance can be enjoyed. It's also a good choice for shrub borders and foundation plantings.
- Botanical NameCalycanthus floridus
- Size2 inch flowers.
- DepthPlant up to the stain on the bareroot plant, firm soil and water thoroughly.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||All Other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4A||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|4B||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 6/21/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 6/21/19|
|6A||3/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|6B||3/4/19 - 6/21/19|
|7A||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|7B||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|8A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|9A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19||10A & B||2/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|Last Order Date|| 1A-7B: 6/17/19
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.