Sweet Sixteen Apple Tree
Sweet Sixteen Apple Tree
- Unit of Measure1 tree
- FormDeciduous. Rounded.
- LightFull sun.
- Height22 feet for standard, 6 feet for Li'l BIG.
- Spread20 feet for standard, 4 - 6 feet for Li'l BIG.
- Spacing20 - 30 for standard, 6 - 8 feet for Li'l BIG.
- Zones3 - 6 (-30° F.).
- FoliageGreen foliage.
- Flower FormYes.
- BloomsLate Spring.
- FruitMostly red, large, conical shaped and wonderfull complex vanilla flavor.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, moist soil with good organic matter.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate. 1 - 2 feet per year.
- PruningPrune December to February. There are normally two goals when pruning an apple tree: 1. Initially on young trees to encourage a strong, solid framework 2. On mature trees to maintain shape and encourage fruit production. The best time to prune apple trees is in late Winter or very early Spring before any new growth starts.
- PollinatorPrairie Spy, Yellow Delicious, Honeycrisp.
- CommentsRed striped, conical shaped fruit. Aromatic firm, crisp, cream colored flesh. Spreading with vigorous habit. Dependable bearer. Hardy to -50 degrees F. Unable to ship to AE, AK, GU, HI, PR.
- YieldApproximately 5 - 10 bushels at maturity for standard, 1/2 bushel for Li'l BIG.
- Botanical NameMalus pumila 'Sweet Sixteen'
- HeaderRemarkable Flavor and Crunch
- DepthGraft 1 - 2 inches above soil.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.