- SKU: 04504
- For each offer ordered, get 1 bareroot
Send me an email when this item is available
- FormDeciduous tree, evergreen in the South.
- LightFull sun to partial shade.
- Height25 - 30 feet, up to 50 feet in the South.
- Spread20 - 25 feet.
- Spacing20 - 25 feet.
- Zones5 - 9
- Foliage3 - 5 inch shiny narrow leaves, dark green above and downy-white on the underneath.
- Flower FormRound deeply cupped blossoms, 2 1/2 inches across with 6 - 9 petals. Fragrant.
- ColorCreamy-white blossoms.
- FruitBright red seed cones in Fall.
- Soil RequirementsEasily grown in acidic, medium to wet soils in full sun to partial shade. Prefers moist, rich, organic soils, but, unlike most other magnolias, tolerates wet, boggy soils. Also does quite well in the heavy clay soils of Missouri.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate. 12-24 inches per year.
- PruningNone necessary. Remove ill placed branches when as small as possible. It is much easier to remove crossed branches when young. Best time to prune would be late Winter to early Spring.
- CommentsStands out in the landscape with leaves that are distinctively shiny dark green. A prominent place in the landscape is a must to enjoy the full effect of these wonderful trees. The sweet fragrance of the blossoms in Summer is described as vanilla scented while others have described it as lemon or rose scented. Regardless of the scent description, the experience of growing and enjoying these shiny leaved magnolias is a good one!
- Botanical Name'Magnolia virginiana'
- DepthPlant so that the stain on the roots is just below soil level.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Large Bareroots, Trees & Shrubs|
|1A-4A||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|4B||5/5/19 - 6/21/19|
|5A||4/1/19 - 6/21/19|
|5B||3/18/19 - 6/21/19|
|6A||3/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|6B||3/4/19 - 6/21/19|
|7A||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|7B||2/25/19 - 6/21/19|
|8A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|9A & B||2/19/19 - 6/21/19|
|10A & B||2/11/19 - 6/21/19|
|Last Order Date|| 1A-7B: 6/17/19
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Sorry, we cannot ship products to Hawaii, Alaska, APO/FPO or outside the contiguous United States. Please provide a street address as some products are unable to be delivered to Post Office boxes.