- SKU: 39783
- For each offer ordered, get 3 plants
- Zones: 3 - 9
- Height: 12 - 24 inches.
- Light Required: Full to partial shade; light, dappled shade is best.
Send me an email when this item is available
- Unit of Measure3 plants
- LightFull to partial shade; light, dappled shade is best.
- Height12 - 24 inches.
- Spread8 - 10 inches.
- Spacing12 - 15 inches.
- Zones3 - 9
- FoliageUpright, rigid stems bear elliptic to obviate leaves up to 6 inches in length.
- Flower FormNodding clusters of trumpet-shaped 1 inch long flowers.
- ColorLavender or pinkish in bud opening up to reveal lavender-blue flowers.
- BloomsLate Spring to early Summer.
- Soil RequirementsMoist, humus, rich soil.
- Growth RateModerate growth rate.
- PruningNone needed. Allow foliage to die back.
- CommentsDelicate-looking pink buds open to reveal hanging, bell-shaped flowers of porcelain blue in mid spring. This native U.S. species is prized by bees, hummingbirds and butterflies as an early nectar source. Wonderful addition for under trees! One of the best-loved natives. Loose flower clusters arise from the axils of the leaves and stems. This woodland plant looks attractive planted next to ferns. The ferns can do double duty by filling in when the Virginia Bluebells dieback during the hot Summer days.
- Botanical NameMertensia virginica
- Size1/4 - 1/2 inch.
- HeaderBeloved Native Wildflower
- DepthPlant crown 1 inches below soil.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.