- SKU: 69978
- For each offer ordered, get 1 1-1½' tree
- Zones: 4 - 8 (-20° F.).
- Height: 50 - 75 feet.
- Light Required: Full sun.
- This item is not available in AR AZ CA IL IN KS MI MN MO NE OK PA TX VA WV
Send me an email when this item is available
- Unit of Measure 1 1-1½' tree
- FormDeciduous. Oval.
- LightFull sun.
- Height50 - 75 feet.
- Spread30 - 40 feet.
- SpacingAt least 8 - 12 feet apart for groupings, but 30 - 40 feet apart when growing for a specimen tree.
- Zones4 - 8 (-20° F.).
- FoliageMedium to dark green, oval leaves, compound.
- Flower FormNot showy, catkins.
- FruitGreen cased nut often dropping to ground when black.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, deep. rich, moist soil. Tolerates dry soils once established.
- Growth RateMedium growth rate. 12 - 24 inches per year.
- PollinatorPartial self pollinating - but requires another black walnut for larger yields.
- CommentsPrized for nuts and timber. Bears up to 30 bushels of nuts once established. Truly a gourmet favorite-black walnuts have a rich flavor prized for baking, plus twicw the protein of English walnuts. Trees grow up to 75 feet tall with dark green foliage, exceellent for providing shade. Dark brown wood is strong with an attractive grain, providing valuable timber. Self-pollinating, but plant two or more for top crops.
- YieldVaries. Up to 30 busles at maturity.
- Botanical NameJuglans nigra
- HeaderPrized for Nuts & Timber
- DepthSame as nursery.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.