Whitney Crabapple Tree
Whitney Crabapple Tree
- Unit of Measure1 tree
- LightFull sun.
- Height20 feet.
- Spread20 feet.
- Spacing25 - 35 feet.
- Zones3 - 7 (-30° F.).
- FoliageDeep green foliage.
- Flower FormMedium sized, abundant flowers.
- ColorPink & white.
- BloomsLate Spring.
- FruitLarger than a golf ball. Sweet, juicy, yellowish flesh.
- Soil RequirementsWell-drained, moist soil with organic matter.
- Growth Rate1 - 2 feet per year.
- PollinatorDolgo or another Whiteny Crab apple or other (Malus) viable apple variety blooming in late Spring.
- CommentsFruit is light greenish-yellow with red blush or stripes. Excellent for fresh eating. Partially self-fruitful but produces better with another variety or two trees. Heavy bearer. Fair keeper. Fairly large fruit for a crab apple. The tree is hardy and is an upright symmetrical grower. Moderately resistant to fireblight. Moderately susceptible to cedar rust.
- Yield2 - 5 bushels at maturity.
- Botanical NameMalus ssp. 'Whitney'
- HeaderFamous for its fruit size
- DepthGraft 1 - 2 inches above soil.
Orders for general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days. Most times, orders having items with different shipping schedules are held in full until the entire order is ready to ship based on your grow zone.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country using the shipping timeframes outlined below. We continually monitor weather conditions for extreme hot or cold and adjust shipping schedules as needed. Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items in July and August.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|ZONE||Blueberries||All Other Fruits||Perennials,
Bulbs & Flowers
|Trees & Shrubs||Encapsulated
|1A-4B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5A||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|5B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|6A & 6B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|7A & 7B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|8A & 8B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|9A-10B||9/19 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/2||9/4 - 11/13||6/19 - 11/2||6/19 - 11/2|
|All Grow Zones: Oct 29, 2018|
Additional Shipping Notes:
The type of product you order or the weather in our area to yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule, shifting earlier or later, depending.
Trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant for optimum stress protection.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your orders via the U.S. Postal Service or FedEx. Large orders or large items may be shipped to you in multiple packages.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.